Equestrian, Wildlife and Dog Outreach
African Dream Horse Safari
Horse back trails, flatwork and jumping lessons, dam swims, natural horsemanship, basic veterinary, basic stable management. Game Drives in a Big 5 reserve, night drives, bush walks. Going into the local communities to help dogs in desperate need and educate people on the importance of caring for these dogs. Go into the surrounding area to experience a wide variety of excursions.
Exposure and education
Weekly cost (approx USD):
Direct benefits you gain:
remote scenic location
Noteworthy conservation points:
- development goals (supporting local community)
Bushcamp comfortable chalets, which can accommodate between 2-3 volunteers each. Communal washing facility and two outdoor showers for those wanting to shower under the stars. There is separate kitchen, outdoor lounging area, swimming pool and fireplace. The kitchen is fully stocked for a self-service breakfast and supper.
When does the project run?
food included, cooking facilities, electricity, local shops, nearby medical facilities, refillable drinking water, hot shower, western toilet, wifi
How long can I stay?
Minimum stay 2 weeks. No maximum stay.
- Age limit - Between 18 and 35
- Weight limit - Less then 75kg
Details of the day-to-day life on the project:
Weather permitting, the weekly schedule will combine equestrian with nature, where volunteers will either be at the stables or in the bush. Wednesdays will provide one with an opportunity to experience one of the various excursions and every Thursday, volunteers will spend some time helping out on outreach where we assist dogs in the local village, working with HALO (Hoedspruit AnimaL Outreach) and if the opportunity arises, we will be able to assist Nourish , a local NPO, with their community work that they do. On weekends we will go have a night at the local bar for a party, as well as an awesome social braai/barbecue around the fire. A fair amount of free time is also made available, where one can use either to catch up on their personal requirements such as Facebook, Skype etc., or simply to take in the beautiful sights and sounds of their surroundings.
The price includes:
• A fully stocked kitchen
• Transport within the programme
• All equestrian activities (Riding lessons, horse trails, fun rides, horse and stable management)
• All wildlife activities (Game drives, night drives, bush walks)
• Laundry (Self Service)
The price excludes:
• All drinks (Drinking water is provided)
• Social events
• Eating out (Restaurants, etc.)
• Excursions (Kruger National Park, Rehab Centres etc.)
• Extra activities on excursions (Big swing, massages, etc.)
• Transfers to/from the Hoedspruit airport (ZAR 220-00 one way)
• Wifi (ZAR 200-00 per 3 weeks)
• Gate levy into Nature Reserve (ZAR 200-00 per 3 Weeks)
Arrivals and departures can be on Mondays or Fridays only
Update or add information
Send us a form with the new details
If you would like to add pictures or videos to this projects page, please email us with the name of the project and the relevant media to:
Upload a picture or video!