Vervet Monkey Foundation
Weekly cost (approx USD):
Direct benefits you gain:
field research skills
remote scenic location
undertake your own research
Noteworthy conservation points:
ethical rehabilitation centre/practices
Shared rustic wooden cabin with 1 other volunteer. There is the option to upgrade to a single cabin also
When does the project run?
accommodation included, food included, refillable drinking water, local shops, nearby medical facilities, mattress, pillow and sheets (please bring sleeping bag), solar energy so limited charging abilities, wifi, drop toilet
How long can I stay?
Details of the day-to-day life on the project:
Extra weeks volunteering above 4 weeks will cost $261
You will not need any prior experience as we will teach you everything you need to know – just come with enthusiasm and an interest in conservation! If you have any specific skills or interest we are happy to try and utilise them during your stay. No matter what you do, you can expect that it is hot, dirty and hands on!
• Collecting, chopping and delivering food for monkeys
• Cooking at weekends for volunteers
• Hands-on care-giving of baby monkeys (Nov-Feb approx), helping in our sickbay
• Observations of orphans with their foster mums and adult integrations
• Cleaning monkey cages, washing feed bowls & plates and cleaning blankets
• Assisting with introductions and rehabilitation of new monkeys.
• Assisting with basic medical practices and administering medications.
• Clearing vegetation for fire breaks, looking after the volunteer village.
• Assisting with education outreach programs
• Participating in fundraising, newsletters, we can also use graphic design skills
During the baby season (Nov – Feb) there is a possibility volunteers will work with baby monkeys, nearly all orphaned and traumatised. We introduce them to foster mothers ensuring each baby is stabilised, healthy and able to drink from a bottle when handling them.
You will be helping to rehabilitate Vervet monkeys into viable troops for release into protected reserves, integrating them back into their natural environment.
Update or add information
Send us a form with the new details
If you would like to add pictures or videos to this projects page, please email us with the name of the project and the relevant media to:
Upload a picture or video!